The dividend tracker is pretty good, but it’s not perfect. You may have spotted a version number on the data tab, which denotes which version of the tracking spreadsheet you’re rocking. I’ve made some substantial changes to the tracker, which allows us to move to version 0.3. Pretty awesome, right?
So, what’s all the fuss about? This spreadsheet already keeps tabs on dividend income, as well as sale proceeds, and we have some pretty charts to look at with the history tab tracking yearly totals. But where’s the monthly breakdown?
Introducing monthly dividend totals
This is a feature I wanted to add to the tracker but simply didn’t get round to it. Knowing just how much you made in dividends each year is handy, but actually being able to see how much you pulled in on a monthly basis is a whole different level.
This is where this new feature comes into play. The monthly chart shows totals for each calendar month. It’s connected to the existing annual total chart, so we’ll be using the defined years and more rows can be added as we move through the century.
You may have noticed that transactions and dividends collected have been switched? That’s so it flows better. It doesn’t make sense to read the dividend total, then transaction total, followed by monthly dividend breakdowns. This shouldn’t break anything.
- Added new monthly dividend breakdown chart on the history tab.
- Switched the positioning of the annual dividend and transaction totals. Heavy stuff.
How do I update my tracker?
Good question! It’s actually relatively straightforward. Make sure you already renamed the previously copied template you’re currently using. With an updated release like this one, simply copy across a new version to your Google Docs. Then follow these steps:
- Select cells
Historytab in the newly copied spreadsheet tracker.
Ctr + C.
- Go to your spreadsheet and head to the
- Click on cell
Ctr + Vto paste.
- The years provided in the history tab may not match what you have configured. If not, simply change the corresponding years.
- Make sure your charts on the
Summarytab are displaying correctly. We’ve swapped the transactions and dividends collected columns and so the dividend and gains/losses charts may have switched also. All you need to do is edit each chart and make sure the “Series” under setup is pulling data from the correct column.
Please bear in mind any customisation or edits you made to the spreadsheet prior to updating and replacing with my own formula.